Mumblings of an incoherent mind...
Thursday, November 10, 2005
  To be a teacher
sidetrack : To all those who are concerned about me....thank you very much for your concerns...i guess i'm pretty much alright....it's difficult to let go...and i dun think i'm succesful at it....but life has certainly taken a turn for the better.....and anyway exam's in 11 days time.....slowly trying to regain my focus. Thanks for your (yes you!) help....

When i was younger it has always been my ambition to be a teacher. Errm okay maybe that's not so true....you remember the cards we use to fill up in primary school and secondary school? U know that card of your profile...and you have to list down the occupation that you're interested in becoming...when i was in primary school..i always listed peguam (lawyer), hakim (judge) , and juruterbang (pilot)...once in a while i'd put in businessman or something else.. i was never interested in the defence forces though..never did i put police, or army or navy....although i thought fireman will be quite fun.

fastforwawrd about 8 years later....and i find myself arguing with my mom. She wasn't too happy that i wanted to be a teacher....neither could she understand it...but the thing is, my motivation in life has always been quite different from a lot of people...as i've told some ppl, i don view myself highly, material gains don't entice me..but i'm interested in the welfare of others... but that is just my priority by myself...perhaps with someone by my side things will be different as there will be different needs...

anyway.....i must admit that being a teacher is not very financially rewarding. In fact, my mom advised me to be a lecturer instead as lecturers earn a lot more moolah. but the whole idea of teaching is not exactly to earn money...instead i think teaching is a good opportunity to shape the lives of those around u. This is especially so as more and more of our daily life is spent in school. In fact i believe that if it was not for some inspirational teachers that i had, i wouldn't be where i am right now....and it is to these very few teachers that i look up to.. so i feel that teaching is not about imparting knowledge...but also to teach wisdom...to teach the skills of life.. to guide the students into being proper members of society...that i feel is the true calling of teachers.

many times i've seen students who go through secondary school..in fact i know some of them as my classmates..in fm 1 they were good ppl..but somehow as they go through the years and they mix with the wrong company, their attitude to life change, which changes their behaviour and everything else...really quite saddening to see this happen

so the motivation of being a teacher is not due to monetary gain..but it's more to inspire and motivate the children of today to be the leaders of tomoorrow (chewah sounds so chim :p) which is kinda the idea of why i spend so much time in OBS...u see..every year that i return to OBS , i encounter the same activity, the same paths and the same challenges...but the thing that makes it different is the people. So it really is very interesting to see the growth of these people even though it is for 10 days only.

so imagine my surprise...when one of my teachers approached me on msn..telling me that she's depressed..u see it isn't the teaching that's depressing but the bane of contention among alot of teachers is that its not a rewarding enough experience. Credit is not given where its due..in fact it goes to all the wrong places and all the wrong people. Office politics are rampant with backstabbers , sharp tongues everywhere. There is a constant amount of work...be it academic of cocurricula.......

but the whole idea..is i find it weird that the teacher can come to me telling me she's depressed and seeking advice from me...

when does a teacher become a student?

anyway sorry for this long rambling..not exactly sure what's going through my head.... as for me..i'm not too sure whether i still wanna be a teacher or not......i think there are lots of other ways to influence the lives of others....maybe i can be a millionaire and build lotsa charities :p dun ask me wat i wanna be now..i have no idea




 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
The worst way to miss someone is to be sitting right beside them knowing you can't have them...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Clementi, Singapore

Cool and extreme at the same, the epitome of confusion.....always an oxymoron, to be at peace yet chaotic,evil yet good,lost but found, but simply, to be me.

Archives
August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / September 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / November 2008 / July 2010 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]