Mumblings of an incoherent mind...
Friday, September 30, 2005
  Unconditional Love....
Have been having quite an interest in my msn nick lately.....the idea of unconditional love. Many people who have seen it have asked me about it, some leading to debates and further discussion.

Basically the idea of unconditional love has been playing in my mind for quite some time. I just dint have the exact term or phrase for it but something that has always been plaguing my mind is..what is love? what is so abstract about the idea of love that makes it hard to understand. A lot of ppl claim to be in love...or that they love someone. Many in relationships think that they are with their partners becuase of love. But is it really true? Sad to say, most often than not it is the idea of seeking companionship (not wanting to be lonely), lust, infatuation and many more that drives people on in relationship. Remove this elements, and the relationship crumbles overnight...

Which brings back to the idea of love. Is there love in varying degree? What is love? How is love demonstrated.

The answer finally came like a revelation. It was during my first CG meeting with my hall's VCF that it dawned on me. It happened when one of my brothers pray that i'll be able to demonstrate unconditional love. It was then that it dawned on me. For love to be truly love, it has to be unconditional. There shouldn't be a need for returns, or benefit from love or even reciprocal. Love is charity to your fellow mankind, a feeling of compassion and passion for them.

Which begs the question, is there truly unconditional love? Can man demonstrate such thing. Many have said that only God is able to demonstrate such love which is true to a certain extent. To Christians, God demonstrated that love when he sent his son to die on the cross. Even at the final moments, Jesus (according to Christianity), after being tormented, scorned and persecuted, with a head bloody from a crown of thorns and a body full of stripes with ribbons of flesh hanging prayed a prayer of forgiveness. He said, 'Father forgive them for they know not what they do' Such compassion is a true demonstration of unconditional love. Will you be able to show that?

Some will argue that humans being imperfect do not have the strength. Which is true. Until it occured to me that many people have already been demonstrating such a quality. Think about your parents. How often have they cared for you even with all the mistakes that you made. How many times have they forgiven you although your crime may seem unforgiveable. So humans too are able to demonstrate unconditional love (or simply love itself) . The only question is, will we be willing to. Will we love our fellow humans. It is a tough order but it's not impossible. And for me, i will try my utmost.




If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
If I give away all I have, and if I deliver my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.
Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful;
it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;
it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right.
Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
Love never ends; as for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. (1 Corinthians 13 )


So faith, hope, love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love. (1 Corinthians 13:13)
 
Comments:
hmm...make you wonder doesn't it? Love being so abstract in itself? One day when I find my EGG (exceptional godly guy).......
 
ah eh.. i alwiz believe that god gives unconditional love. he is not selfish as some believer think. i do not hv to profess a certain religion in order for God to forgive me. if parents can demonstrate unconditional love to their children no matter what crime they do or did, i believe, God in all his glory could do just that.. to forgive believer and non-believers, for they are ALL his children.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
The worst way to miss someone is to be sitting right beside them knowing you can't have them...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Clementi, Singapore

Cool and extreme at the same, the epitome of confusion.....always an oxymoron, to be at peace yet chaotic,evil yet good,lost but found, but simply, to be me.

Archives
August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / September 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / November 2008 / July 2010 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]